Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Day of Rest

Maybe I'm doing this all wrong...a question that repeatedly seems to come up for me. It seems that in order to work out the "right" way you must totally kill yourself EVERY SINGLE DAY. Anything less than that and you are: a slacker, not committed, not working hard enough and wasting your time as well as the time of others who are oh, so much cooler than you are. Well, bite me.

I tried to do crazy workouts six days a week. I ended up so tired and sick that I was on the couch crying with bone-numbing exhaustion, feeling totally defeated. I have learned that as much as I need to work out, and push myself during my workout outs, I need rest just as much. I am working out every other day. I enjoy my workouts and they make me feel energized and not completely and utterly depleted.

Sometimes you just need a day off. If I'm too tired, too sore, or too sick to work out, I seriously consider whether what I really need is rest. If I'm all three it is usually a no-brainier: rest day it is! If it is only one, I try and remind myself that a moderate workout will usually work mild soreness out, energize me and get my sinuses moving again. But if I feel like my body needs some rest and recovery, I do it, or don't do it...

I'm not gonna lie, some days I just don't feel like it. I want to sit on my ass and lose myself in a Law and Order marathon. When this happens, I grab my favorite blanket, curl up with a cup a tea and totally OWN my rest day. I just make sure it's a rest day and not a rest week!

Yesterday was a rest day between my prima barre classes. I was sore as well as tired from traveling last week. I knew I needed to rest, so I did. Today I hit my prima barre class hard, and felt great, which probably would not have been the case if I had done what I was "supposed to do" and not been such a slacker. Well, maybe I am going about this all wrong, but I feel great, and my butt is smaller, so I must be doing something right!

No comments:

Post a Comment