Pages

Thursday, February 20, 2014

I Am Not THAT Dance Mom

And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others


When tiny dancer was about eight or nine we were in the car headed to yet another dance class when she stated, very matter-of-fact, "Mom, dance is my passion. I have a gift."  She is so right. There is nothing she is more passionate about than dance, and there is nothing I love more that watching her grow as a dancer. I feel that is my moral obligation as a mother to provide a safe space for her to follow her passion. I cannot, for the life of me, conceive of doing anything that would squash her passion. Which is why, for the life of me, i cannot understand the show Dance Moms. 

This show is full of women who fight, say ugly things, call each other (and each other's daughter's) nasty names, and in last weeks episode assault each other. I tell Tiny Dancer I don't care how good the teacher is, or what opportunities the dance studio would provide, I would not allow her within 100 feet of such foolishness. We've had our share of dance drama. When we switched studios last September and you would have thought that we sold secrets to the Russians! We put more thought, time and energy into that decision that where was going to go to college. When Zoe was treated shabbily for leaving I was in full on Mamma Bear mode. I cannot imagine my life as a dance mom where that sort of treatment is par for the course.

It just bothers me that these women don't seem to understand what they are doing.to their beautiful dancers. They are denying the light of their daughter's passion for dance to shine. I can only imagine how hurtful this would be to dancer. Dance is still my daughter's passion, and as her light shines, so does mine.  Make it shine, Tiny Dancer!


No comments:

Post a Comment